Federal Licensing Services
Federal Cannabis Licensing Services
There are several different federal cannabis licenses that are available under the Cannabis Act depending on the specific activities you wish to conduct with cannabis.
Those looking to cultivate cannabis are required to hold one of the following licenses:
- Standard Cultivation license (permits cultivation in an unlimited-sized grow space).
- Micro-Cultivation license (allows for cultivation in a grow space of up to 2,152 square feet).
- Nursery license (permits the cultivation of cannabis genetics such as clones and seeds, within a maximum of 540 square feet).
Those looking to package cannabis products and manufacture cannabis-based products (cannabis extracts, edibles, topicals, etc.) are required to hold one of the following licenses:
- Standard Processing license (handling of over 600 kg of dried flower [or the equivalent] per year).
- Micro-Processing license (handling of up to 600 kg of dried flower [or the equivalent] per year).
Those looking to sell packaged cannabis products to medical patients will require a Sale for Medical Purposes license. This licence can be sought with possession of cannabis or without possession of cannabis.
A Research license will permit all kinds of cannabis-related studies, from advancements toward better growing and processing techniques, to improving upon cannabis-based products, and more.
An Analytical Testing license will permit the testing of cannabis products. Testing can include chemical and microbial contaminants, cannabinoid content, pesticides, dissolution/disintegration, solvents, sterility, stability, etc.
An Industrial Hemp Licence opens doors for hemp production businesses. Holders of an Industrial Hemp Licence may grow hemp and produce products using the grain from that crop (e.g. for hulled hemp seed, hemp protein powder, hemp seed oil).
A registration certification to produce or possess cannabis for your own medical purposes allows you to:
- produce a limited amount of cannabis for your own medical purposes
- designate a person to produce a limited amount of cannabis for your own medical purposes
- authorizes to use cannabis for medical purposes and wish to only purchase your cannabis from an authorized provincial or territorial retail or online point of sale, and expect to possess more than 30 grams in public
OCS Applications (including Psilocybin); Psilocybin R & D license, Psilocybin Clinical Trials License and Dealer’s License.
- An application for Controlled Drugs and Substances Dealer’s Licence authorizes a company or organization to possess a controlled substance and conduct activities specified by the license (such as production, packaging, sale, sending, transportation, delivery, laboratory analysis, research & development, clinical studies, import/export, or distribution under special access program only). A Dealer’s License will only be issued once a complete license application package has been reviewed by Health Canada’s Office of Controlled Substances (OCS), and an inspection of the facilities has been conducted to ensure compliance with the Directive and the CDSA and its associated regulations.
- An application for an exemption to use a controlled substance for clinical studies A qualified investigator (QI) (practitioners affiliated to universities and/or private industry) requiring a controlled substance for research purposes which include administration to humans in a clinical trial must receive an exemption under subsection 56(1) of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (CDSA).Thus, once issued, an exemption will authorize the qualified investigator (practitioner) to purchase (if applicable), possess and administer specific controlled substances in specific quantities for a specific clinical study protocol.
- An R & D Application for an exemption to use a controlled substance for scientific purposes is required to conduct research and development using controlled substances on animals as test subjects. Health Canada Office of Controlled Substances regulates the use of controlled drugs within Canada. The use of controlled drugs is limited to individuals whom have a valid practice or research license and their authorized personnel.
After receiving your cannabis licence, you must notify Health Canada of any changes to your company structure, key employees, licenced activities, or licenced operations areas by submitting a licence amendment application or change request through your CTLS licence holder account. Some of these changes will only require a simple notification to Health Canada, while others will need to be submitted for approval before being put into effect. Other changes may not require any notification at all.
Trim, cut, dry, extract, manufacture, package, label cannabis products.
Processing licenses are ideal for anyone who desires to work with cannabis and its derivatives, such as oil, wax, hash, butter, and other extracts. A cannabis processing licence may be used for any…
Industrial hemp includes cannabis plants, and parts of the plant of any variety, that contains 0.3 % tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) or less in the leaves and flowering heads. An Industrial Hemp Licence opens doors for hemp production businesses. Holders of an…
Office of Controlled Substances Applications
The terms “magic mushrooms” and “medical mushrooms” are interchangeable. Its language is used to refer to mushrooms that contain real, physiologically active substances (hallucinogens), such psilocybin…
Selling Medical Cannabis (with and without possession)
Although cannabis can be marketed for both recreational and medical uses under the Cannabis Act and Regulations, not all licences are governed by federal law. The provinces and territorie…
Conduct analytical testing for purity, potency, identity.
Check to see if an analytical testing licence is the right class of licence before submitting an application. An analytical testing licence must be applied for by both individuals and businesses
Before applying for a licence, first determine whether a research licence is the appropriate licence for your proposed activities. Clinical trials, plant genetics, the development of cannabis products, in vivo and in vitro investigations…
Registering to produce or possess cannabis for your own medical purposes
Our medical cannabis licensing services offer Canadians, over the age of 21, to our network of authorized physicians that will enable you…
Grow Your Own Personal Medical Cannabis
After receiving your cannabis licence, you must notify Health Canada of any changes to your company structure, key employees, licenced activities, or licenced operations…